Skip to content

10 Time Management Tips to Help Get Your Business off the Ground

There are 10 hacks to optimize your time management and maximize your working productivity.

There is no such thing busy, it’s just a matter of prioritizing your works.

Too much networking? The truth is nobody is too busy, it’s just a matter of priorities. Many of you think that you have so much work to do but the reality is, that’s sound bullshit to me and they are lying to you. Time is the essence. Just imagine, your company may strike several deals if you really focus on finding leads, approach potential clients, negotiate the deals and sign off rather than chasing wrong clients, attending a lot of startup networking events and training, perfecting your product without product-market fit, worrying about issues before they arise or attend the unnecessary meeting. All of these are wasting your time and productivity. Prioritize which works that really beneficial for your company.

Don’t be the jack of all trades. Master of none.

You may just hear this kind of phrase before anywhere. Actually, there is nothing wrong with being a generalist. In a startup, there are no right and wrong for co-founders wearing multiple hats to do multiple types of tasks. But you need to delegate some of the work to smarter people than you. We still need the specialists that become commoditized in today’s world because at one point the co-founders itself may not require to do the coding or sales and marketing, an AI will do all the tasks. My advice for a beginner when seeking a co-founder, find someone that contradicts with your skills. So don’t try to do everything, it may affect your work productivity. Master of all? I don’t think it will happen.

Find the 90/10 solution.

Stress up with your own startup? Feel burden all the works because of achieving the KPI? Try to use the 90/10 solution because it’s an amazing concept and incredibly simple either in your business or personal. You may read this book later as your reference, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change. 10 percent of life is made up of what happens to you. 90 percent of life is decided by how you react. 10 percent is inevitable but the other 90 percent you can control how you react.

Let’s take an example. Something shit happened to your startup. You have no control over what just what happened. No one is buying the product because it’s terrible and no demand. Then you blame your partner, thinking he may not contribute to the product and business developments. You found out your partner and best coders are leaving, they are totally fucked up with your attitude.

You have no control about the shit happened but what if you determine how you react? Sit down and brainstorming with the team how to solve this issue peacefully without any game blaming. Luckily, your product gains some tractions from the market. The market saw that product is really helping them and they totally need it.

Both started the same. Both ended differently. Why? Because of how you reacted. You really do not have any control over 10 percent of what happens. The other 90 percent was determined by your reaction.

The 80/20 rule.

Do you ever hear the Pareto principle? It’s also known 20 percent of your efforts will account for 80 percent of your results. It was named after it’s founder, the Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto, back in 1895. He noticed that people in society seemed to divide naturally into what he called the “vital few,” or the top 20 percent in terms of money and influence, and the “trivial many,” or the bottom 80 percent.

How does it work? Imagine there are 10 marketing strategies you can use in order to hunt potential leads. 2 of those items will turn out to be worth more than the other 8 items put together. How to achieve it? Select the best 2 marketing strategies that have the greatest impact on getting the leads.

Avoid long-negotiated deals with big customers and big company corporate development queries if you can because they will only waste time.

“Your product seems awesome and we never saw this kind of solution before this in the market! It’s a cutting-edge technology using Artificial Intelligence. But is it possible if we talk to our managers first before we proceed to the next meeting that will be held  next month?”

“Is your product or solution can use to interview potential salespeople so they can understand our products and fit with our company culture? But we need to check again with other branches first.”

“What?! Do we need to pay after a 1-month free trial? But a lot of startups that dealing with us just gave us free for more than 1 month. How about 3 months free trial then we will consider?”

“Yeah, I love your product so much. But is it possible to send me the pitch deck so I can pass to our directors before we set up a meeting?”

Big deals require a lot of listening to a back-and-forth, they prioritize their brand and name, many people influence the decision, there’s more to it than just the product for them and it requires some patience to close the deals.

Only do find clients and develop your product. Others just noise.

This Sun Tzu quote, borrowed from the Art of War, pretty much sums up my feeling on the subject – “Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy are the noise before defeat.” Why we do the startup? For money? Learn something new? Change the world? Or for fun purpose? Your answer will determine your startup objective since day 1. But most of the answers are seeking revenue which is money. If you seeking the revenue, focus on developing your product and finding some clients instead of a waste of time doing something that not really worth and beneficial for your startup like the excessive celebration on social media every day without noticing that you far from the objective. It’s noise guys.

Lower your ego.

There are good ego, bad ego. Good ego can drive your startup to victory. Bad ego can destroy your company. This kind of ego must go. When you work as a team with a different mindset, accept each other in a possible way. The startup built on the core foundation of trust. The vision of the startup must be cleared for everyone as a compass to your roadmap. You may not accept what they thinking like yours but the art of negotiation is really important to buy out partner and team members. In the discussion, there will be a lot of different opinions and as a leader need to throw away the ego when arguing the product ideation or problems. But if the ego controls the mind, you can become self-centered, feel righteous, conflicting with others that are not unhealthy culture. No drama guys.

Don’t be always a yes man. Must say no if needed.

There are many ways to avoid being a yes man. If the client requests something that doesn’t make sense, think before answer and don’t afraid to say no. Don’t always see saying “no” as letting down another person and never dwell on what people think about your decision. The moment you please other people request, it may ruin your time and work productivity. We called it “people-pleaser”. Or “yes-man”. In Malay, we called “pak-turut”. We have the power of choice. Many people struggle with addiction to pleasing other people. Don’t let your guilt rule our minds when we say no. Like I mentioned before, know your priorities that really matter. Try practice a healthy lifestyle and you will feel more satisfied and rejuvenated. Emphasize on 90/10 and 80/20 rules and compare with your to-do list. At the end of the day, you are only human after all.

P.S: Yes a man can destroy your startup, so be careful.

Find someone that is smarter than you also do things right and delegate to them. (hiring tips)

Find some that not only smarter than you but also can do things right and delegate to them. Even with your partner. My partner has a talent in philosophy. At first, I think my ideas are the very best but my partner has a totally different opinion about that. Quite shocking and surprise with his opinions but when looking it closely and think very deeply about it, yeah it makes sense for me!

When comes to hiring, follow up the current market that fast-evolving so you can keep it track your team’s talent that suit market needs. Besides that, enhance your hiring process based on real-world best practice. One rule of thumb in hiring great talents is hired slow, fired fast. One thing you need to look for in talent is that they have a really good sense of what they’re good and bad at. It’s totally ok for people to be bad at things. It’s not totally ok for people to have no idea what they’re bad at.

Surround yourself with great mind people.

If you hang around 5 confident people, you’ll be the 6th.
If you hang around 5 intelligent people, you’ll be the 6th.
If you hang around 5 millionaires, you’ll be the 6th.
If you hang around 5 idiots, you’ll be the 6th.
If you hang around 5 broke people, you’ll be the 6th.

– If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail –

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *